A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to finally land a job where I could just go in, do it, and go home. No need to feel responsible for anything just go in, do it, bang bang bang, walk away and not even think about it.... and the pay was ok too! So, I decided with my newfound excess time and energy that I'd get back into surfing big time.. Trouble was, I forgot you have to be fit to surf, so my first surfing trip down south was mainly spent lying around getting over a half hour surf everday. In the preceding years I'd let my self go, badly, as work and other stuff had overtaken my life. So there I was 4o yrs old and over 15 stone and to be honest pretty miserable with life and myself...action was required.
I've always been fascinated with the martial arts, although I'm just a dabbler. I'd always wanted try boxing since I was a kid, but never had the time or the headspace, so I figured now was a great time to try. Best decision I've taken in years..... My MOJO is slowy coming back. Baby.. Whereas before I'd find it difficult to be motivated, I now jump out of bed in the morning and get to the Gym.. and really enjoy the challenging training, although, I don't spar very often. Don't find enough time to practice my surfing..
Combat sports require a mixture of Aerobic conditioning, Anearobic conditioning, Cordination, Explosive strength, speed strength, maximal strength, practice, patience, planning and intelligence. I used to loathe going to gyms simply to pump iron, what a waste of time and intellect. This is starting to sound like an infomercial, but anyway, why did I not find the time years ago?.. Down to around 12/2 stone now or 80Kg goal is to get to around 75-78. Doctor just told me I had the muscular strength and fitness of a 30 year old. I'll get that down to 25 yr old this year.
The conditioning guru and a big inspiration, Ross Enamait:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=rossenamait&p=r
I love his sentiment: No team mates, No time outs and No where to hide.
http://www.rossboxing.com/
and
http://www.rosstraining.com/infiniteintensity.html
one arm pull ups? no problem... I've made a little pact with myself to achieve this in the next two years.
I train at FightBoi:
http://www.fightboi.com/trainers.htm
Regards
TheBagwan
No comments:
Post a Comment